Sunday 26 October 2008

Some end of season press...

News of Leon's success has started to spread...this time in the 'Heartland Evening News' written by Joan Williams. It's a terrific write-up about Leon along with a rather fetching shot of him on board the BMC Honda...



It's a great article and well worth a read:

A bike star is born
Three Nuneaton riders - Tristan Palmer, Leon Jeacock and Dean Brown - took part in the final round of the EMRA championships and the annual Race of the Year at Mallory Park on Sunday, writes Joan Williams.

The weather was rather cold and windy but this did not deter the riders from putting on the best display of their racing skills.

The most successful rider of the day was 19-year-old Leon Jeacock from Stockingford, who is definitely a star of the future.

He did not win a race, but he came away with two championships to his name and he became the first rider ever to win two different EMRA championships on two different makes and capacity of machines.

He started the day in second place in the 600 Superstock championship, only three points behind the leader. He had entered this championship part way through on his own 600cc Yamaha, helped by BMC Racing, so it was no mean feat that he was in a position to be challenging for the title.

The day started well for him when he qualified fifth in the morning to be heading up the second row of the grid. He made a good start to the race and was up to second place early on. He was then passed by a couple of riders who got into a good battle so he decided to play it safe and hold back to finish the race, which he did in fifth place.

When the championship leader crashed out on the warm-up lap all he needed to do was score four points.

He said: " When I knew Sam (Middlemas) had crashed on the warm-up lap and his championship hopes were over I decided to play it safe and keep out of harms way. Finishing fifth gave me enough points to win the championship, and I'm over the moon, as I never really expected to be in with a chance when I missed the first couple of rounds.
Jeacock's second outing of the day was in the F400 class on his BMC Honda, where he was leading the championship by 29 points. This class was run in conjunction with the 600cc and 1000cc Roadstock machines. He qualified on pole for his class but his time put him fourth on the front row of the grid.

He made a good start, but then some of the roadstock riders tried to duff him up at the Hairpin, he survived, but dropped back in position on the track. He finally crossed the line after 14 laps as the second F400 rider, so giving him his second championship of the day.
He commented: "I got away well but then some of the Roadstock boys tried to take me out at the Hairpin, and I wasn't even in their class so I was no threat to them. Being on 600 and 1000cc bikes perhaps they thought a little 400cc Honda shouldn't have been mixing it with them."

"I managed to keep going and finish second in my class to give me the championship, my second of the day. I can't put into words how happy I am, and I'm the first rider to win two different championships on different bikes."

"I'd like to say a big thank you to BMC Racing for providing me with the 400 Honda and helping me with my own 600 Yamaha. I'd also like to thank all my sponsors, my family and friends and all the other helpers who are part of the team. Next year I'm hoping to move up from club racing so I'm looking for sponsorship, anyone interested please contact me on 07773 230745."

Thank you Joan!

No comments: